The Daily Slice, your Black Hills news podcast in under 10 minutes. Delivered every morning Monday-Friday at homesliceaudio.com/dailyslice
Summer Nights 2025 Canceled, Future Location Uncertain
RAPID CITY, S.D. — After 17 years in downtown Rapid City, the 2025 season of Summer Nights has been officially canceled, with organizers indicating that the event will likely not return downtown in 2026. Judd Nielsen, President of the Summer Nights board, cited a permit denial and safety concerns as key reasons behind the cancellation. In December, the Rapid City Council rejected the event’s permit application after some downtown businesses requested a new location and concerns were raised about street closures and safety. With these challenges, Nielsen said downtown is no longer a viable option, though discussions about the location may continue. While alternate venues are being considered, he noted that it’s too soon to announce any decisions, but the group remains committed to holding a 2026 season.
Camaro Rally Relocates to Spearfish After More Than a Decade in Sturgis
STURGIS, S.D. — Another summer event is on the move—this time, the Camaro Rally. After calling Sturgis home since 2010, the rally will take place in Spearfish this summer. The Black Hills Camaro Club announced the move, stating that the decision came after the city of Sturgis opted to step away from hosting the event.
Rapid City Police Searching for Gun Linked to Homicide
RAPID CITY, S.D. — Rapid City police are searching for a discarded firearm they believe was used in Sunday’s homicide. Authorities say the female suspect discarded the weapon after fleeing a residence at 813 E. New York Street. Residents near the 300 block of East North Street are being asked to review security footage for anything suspicious. The incident on Sunday left one man dead and another seriously injured.
Two Dead After Pickup Fleeing Traffic Stop Crashes in Fall River County
RAPID CITY, S.D. — Two men are dead after crashing a pickup truck that pulled over in a traffic stop in Fall River County. The pickup had been pulled over in a traffic stop, and as the driver was undergoing a DUI test, a front seat passenger slid into the driver’s seat and fled. The pickup ended up crashing after failing to negotiate a curve on Highway 18 east of Oelrichs. The driver from Rapid City was killed, as was a 23-year-old male passenger from Oglala. The incident remains under investigation.
First measles death is reported in the West Texas outbreak that’s infected more than 120 people
LUBBOCK, T.X. (AP) — A person who was hospitalized with measles has died from measles in West Texas. It’s the first since the outbreak began late last month. Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center spokesperson Melissa Whitfield confirmed the death Wednesday. It wasn’t clear how old the patient was. They died overnight. Covenant Children’s Hospital in Lubbock didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. The measles outbreak in rural West Texas has grown to 124 cases across nine counties. There are also nine measles cases in eastern New Mexico.
Hamas will turn over bodies of 4 Israeli hostages in exchange for release of hundreds of prisoners
CAIRO (AP) — Hamas says that it will return the bodies of four dead hostages on Thursday in exchange for Israel’s release of hundreds of Palestinian prisoners. It will come two days before the first phase of the ceasefire between the warring parties is set to expire. Israel had delayed the release of about 600 Palestinian prisoners over what it said was the cruel treatment of hostages during their release by the militant group. The deadlock over the exchange had threatened to collapse the ceasefire when the current six-week first phase of the deal expires this weekend. Hamas’ latest announcement on Wednesday would complete both sides’ obligations of the first phase of the ceasefire.
US and Ukraine near an economic deal with mineral rights but no security promise, officials say
KYIV, UKRAINE (AP) — Three senior Ukrainian officials say that Ukraine and the U.S. have reached an agreement on a framework for a broad economic deal that would include access to Ukraine’s rare earth minerals. The officials, who were familiar with the matter, spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. One of them said that Kyiv hopes that signing the agreement will ensure the continued flow of U.S. military support that the country urgently needs. President Trump called it “a very big deal,” adding that it could be worth a trillion dollars.
Asteroid 2024 YR4 is no longer a threat to Earth, scientists say
CAPE CANAVERAL, F.L. (AP) — Scientists have finally given the all-clear to Earth from a newly discovered asteroid. NASA and the European Space Agency said Tuesday that after two months of observations, scientists have almost fully ruled out any threat. At one point, the odds of a strike in 2032 were as high as about 3% and topped the world’s asteroid-risk lists. But ESA lowered the odds to 0.001%. NASA had it down to 0.0027%. But there’s still a 1.7% chance the asteroid could hit the moon in 2032. Discovered in December, the asteroid is about 130 feet to 300 feet across, and swings our way every four years.