The Daily Slice, your Black Hills news podcast in under 10 minutes. Delivered every morning Monday-Friday at homesliceaudio.com/dailyslice
Local News
Rapid City man located in father’s death investigation
RAPID CITY, S.D. — Authorities say a Rapid City man wanted for questioning in his father’s death was located Thursday.
Police confirmed they are working with Nicholas Selig in the investigation into the death of his father, Vernon Selig, who was found dead Tuesday near Victoria Lake Road. A passerby spotted Nicholas Selig shortly before 11 a.m. in the 1200 block of Jackson Boulevard and alerted authorities. Officers responded and took him into custody.
Police identify victim in Rapid City shooting
RAPID CITY, S.D. — Police have identified the victim of a Wednesday night shooting as 29-year-old Monte Gaskin of Rapid City.
Gaskin was found with gunshot wounds in an apartment on East Watertown Street. First responders attempted lifesaving measures, but he was pronounced dead at the scene. Investigators say they are interviewing several people believed to have been present at the time of the shooting.
Vacant Rapid City hotel fire under investigation
RAPID CITY, S.D. — Firefighters responded to an early morning blaze Thursday at a vacant hotel on North Lacrosse Street.
The Rapid City Fire Department says crews were called around 1:30 a.m. and found flames and smoke coming from a third-story window at 2100 North Lacrosse. Officials noted the building was supposed to be vacant, though there had been reports of people staying there without authorization. No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Man pleads not guilty in South Dakota’s largest meth bust
STURGIS, S.D. — The man charged in what authorities call South Dakota’s largest-ever methamphetamine seizure pleaded not guilty Wednesday in federal court.
Alonzo Molina-Corona was stopped for speeding on Interstate 90 in Sturgis when officers discovered more than 207 pounds of crystal meth, valued at $12 million. If convicted, Molina-Corona could face life in prison. He also faces additional charges from a Meade County grand jury that carry up to 15 years in prison.
Rapid City weighs joining $79 million opioid settlement
RAPID CITY, S.D. — Rapid City’s Legal and Finance Committee has approved a proposal by Mayor Jason Sullivan to join the Purdue Pharma opioid settlement.
The city’s participation would give it access to funds from the $79 million agreement, which are intended to support rehabilitation programs for people recovering from opioid abuse. Attorney General Marty Jackley has endorsed the plan. Alderman Dr. Stephen Tamang said the funds could help people affected by addiction. The City Council will vote on the proposal next week.
Crook County suspends search for missing woman
SUNDANCE, Wyo. — The Crook County Sheriff’s Office says it has suspended the active search for a missing Saint Onge woman.
Authorities said Thursday the decision to end the search for Linda Thacker came after extensive operations produced no additional evidence of her presence in the area. Thacker was reported missing Oct. 18 by her family.
National & International News
Minneapolis church shooting leaves two students dead, 18 wounded
MINNEAPOLIS — Police say the shooter who opened fire inside a Minneapolis church, killing two Catholic school students and wounding 18 others, was obsessed with killing children.
The suspect, identified as 23-year-old Robin Westman, fired 116 rifle rounds through stained glass windows Wednesday morning as students attended mass at Annunciation Catholic School. Acting U.S. Attorney Joe Thompson said writings and videos left behind showed Westman idolized mass killers and expressed hatred toward nearly every group.
RFK Jr. deputy named acting CDC director amid turmoil
WASHINGTON — Jim O’Neill, a deputy to Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has been tapped as acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, according to Trump administration officials.
O’Neill’s appointment follows attempts to remove current director Susan Monarez, who has been in the role for just a month. Kennedy’s push for anti-vaccine policies has drawn bipartisan criticism, with some lawmakers calling for oversight and others demanding his dismissal. The leadership turmoil comes ahead of a key advisory meeting reshaped by vaccine skeptics.
Trump administration awards $1.2B detention center contract to small firm
FORT BLISS, Texas — The Trump administration has awarded a $1.2 billion contract to a small Virginia company to build and run what could become the nation’s largest immigration detention complex.
Acquisition Logistics LLC, which has no prior experience managing correctional facilities and had never won a contract larger than $16 million, was selected to operate the massive tent camp at Fort Bliss. The Pentagon has declined to release details of the contract or explain the choice. The Department of Homeland Security says the project is part of efforts to rapidly expand deportation capacity.
Entertainment
Backstreet Boys earn $4 million a night in Las Vegas residency
LAS VEGAS — The Backstreet Boys are reportedly earning $4 million per night during their Las Vegas residency at The Sphere.
The band has recouped creative costs and announced additional dates for 2028. In a statement, the group thanked fans for their support and teased a “larger than life” experience for future shows. They are set to return to The Sphere from Dec. 26 through Jan. 3, 2026, with more dates scheduled in February.